Online Banking

1300 314 900 Find a Branch

Buildings Insurance helps cover the home you own, including any sheds and garages that are on your property

The cover provides you with access to a range of value added customer services such as fortnightly, monthly or annual premium payment options and a 24-hour Australia-wide Claims Hotline (13 24 80).

Weather the storm

Be covered for storm, flood, rainwater or wind damage.

A roof over your head

CGU will help look after you by assisting with temporary accommodation for up to 12 months, up to 10% of the sum insured, and arranging emergency repairs.

Easy payment options

Including pay-by-the-month at no extra cost

CGU offers three options for Buildings Insurance.

  • Accidental Damage (premium level cover) – Enjoy ultimate peace of mind with CGU’s highest level of cover for your buildings and contents. As well as cover for events like flood, fire and theft – Premium will cover you for loss or damage on a range on incidents. What’s more, your contents are covered anywhere in Australia and NZ for up to 90 days at a time.
  • Listed Events (quality level cover) – Get exceptional value for money with Quality cover, and know that you’re covered for a very wide range of natural disasters, weather events, break-ins and more.
  • Fundamentals (basic level cover) – Basic has you covered for floods, fires, break-ins and more. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how much cover you get!
Features Accidental Damage Listed Events Fundamentals
Accidental damage or accidental loss cover Yes No No
Burning out of electrical motors For motors up to 15 years old Yes Yes No
Trees, plants and shrubs replacment Yes. Up to $1,500 Yes. Up to $750 No
Flood cover (automatic) Yes Yes Yes
Alternative accommodation Paid in addition to the sum insured. (Up to 10% of sum insured). Yes Yes Yes
Removal of debris and demolishing cost. Paid in addition to the sum insured. (Up to 10% of sum insured) Yes Yes Yes
Architects, surveyors and legal fees Paid in addition to the sums insured Yes Yes Yes
Replacing keys and recoding of locks and barrels Yes. No limit Yes. Up to $1,000 Yes. Up to $1,000
Liability cover (up to $20 million) Yes Yes Yes
Storm damage to wooden gates, fences, etc (up to 15 years old) Yes Yes Yes. Limits apply.

Policy conditions, limitations and exclusions apply to all cover types. Please see the PDS for full terms and conditions.

When you take out Buildings Insurance, you’re taking out cover for the home you own, including your garage and shed that are on your property.

How much you’re covered for depends on a few things. You choose the sum insured (we’re here to help), and then you can choose from three levels of cover – Premium – Accidental Damage Cover, Quality – Listed Events or Basic – Fundamentals.

To help wrap your head around what’s covered with our Buildings Insurance, you should take a look at each Product Disclosure Statement (PDS):

We will base your premium on the type of cover you have chosen, including any options that you have added, your sum insured, the excess, the type, location, construction and age of your contents, the level of security you have, your previous insurance and claims history and any special conditions that we have applied.

The best way to answer this question is to complete a quick quote.

This depends on the type of policy you’ve taken out. All of the Buildings Insurance policies offered by the Capricornian come with a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), which lists out all the exclusions to your cover.

In particular, you’re not covered for any foreseeable event or for general wear and tear (for example, your home deteriorating over time due to age).

Please read the PDS to see the full list of what is and isn’t covered:

If you are not concerned about covering the contents of your home – which includes things like carpet and curtains, as well as certain valuable items like jewellery and electronic equipment – then Buildings Insurance may be the way to go. With Buildings Insurance, cover is limited to the actual house (including your garage and shed that are on your property) – not the stuff inside.

Please read through these Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) to get a better idea of whether Buildings Insurance is right for you:

Before you decide on the cover that’s right for you, read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determinations. In the PDS you’ll learn everything you need to know about what’s covered and what’s not.

Insurance is issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance. In offering the insurance products, The Capricornian Ltd acts under its own Australian Financial Services Licence and under an agreement with the insurers, CGU. Any advice is general advice only. Consider the Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) and Target Market Determination, available at any Capricornian branch or by calling 1300 314 900.

Premium – Accidental Damage PDS
Quality – Listed Events PDS
Basic – Fundamentals PDS
Target Market Determination

Am I adequately insured?

Need Help?

Our friendly insurance specialists can answer your questions.

Tips to get in the know