Community owned banking since 1959
The Capricornian has evolved from a small parish credit union established in a suburb of Rockhampton in 1959 into a full service financial institution with six branches covering Central Queensland.
Our roots stem from a group of committed residents in Park Avenue, Rockhampton who worked to establish a financial society that would benefit the people in the local area. Strong emphasis was placed on the basic principle of co-operation which is the hallmark of Credit Unions. By saving together and pooling funds, they could lend back to one another at interest rates all could afford.
This lead to the establishment of the Park Avenue Parish Credit Co-operative Society Ltd which grew and changed its name to Park Avenue Community Credit Union Ltd in 1969. A strong loyal membership base was established and the Credit Union grew to operate from a humble premises and to employ one full time staff member.
In 1979 we opened membership up to all people in Central Queensland, and not just Park Avenue residents. This lead to significant growth and in 1981 amalgamated with North Rockhampton Credit Union Ltd and changed our name to Capricornia Credit Union Ltd.
The following years saw steady growth and the introduction of several new products and services inline with technological advances such as the roll out of ATMs, Online Banking, quick deposit facilities, insurance, bonds, investment shares and a financial planning service.
Reflecting this growth, in 2009 we changed our name to The Capricornian Ltd to help engage people who do not fully understand the full services of a credit union.