Online Banking

1300 314 900 Find a Branch

Combined Buildings and Contents Insurance

This insurance type helps cover you for both your home and contents.

The cover provides you with access to a range of value added customer services such as fortnightly, monthly or annual premium payment options and a 24-hour Australia-wide Claims Hotline (13 24 80).

New for old

If your saggy old sofa is damaged in a fire or flood, we’ll replace it with a new one. In other words, with our new-for-old replacement there’s no depreciation on your contents.

A roof over your head

Worried about where you’ll sleep at night if your home is damaged as a result of a covered incident? CGU will help look after you by assisting with temporary accommodation for up to 12 months, up to 10% of the sum insured, and arranging emergency repairs.

Easy payment options

Including pay-by-the-month at no extra cost

CGU offers three options for Buildings and Contents Insurance.

  • Accidental Damage (premium level cover) – Enjoy ultimate peace of mind with CGU’s highest level of cover for your buildings and contents. As well as cover for events like flood, fire and theft – Premium will cover you for loss or damage on a range on incidents. What’s more, your contents are covered anywhere in Australia and NZ for up to 90 days at a time.
  • Listed Events (quality cover) – Gives you great cover, and you can add options to your policy for extra valuables cover and more.
  • Fundamentals (basic level cover) – Basic has you covered for floods, fires, break-ins and more. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how much cover you get!

Features Accidental Damage Listed Events Fundamentals
Accidental damage or accidental loss cover Yes No No
Valuable items: Jewellery, mobile phones, tablets, laptops, cameras & photography equipment, portable music players etc. 20% of sums insured or $7,500 whichever is greater (Up to $2,500 per item) 20% of sums insured or $5,000 whichever is greater (Up to $2,500 per item) $2,000 in total (Up to $1,000 per item)
Contents at home in the open air Yes Yes. Up to $2000 for the events listed. Yes. Up to $1000 for the events listed.
Burning out of electrical motors For motors up to 15 years old Yes Yes No
Frozen food: Following breakdown of freezer Yes. Includes accidents. Yes. Up to $500 No
Replacing keys and recoding of locks and barrels Yes. Unlimited Yes. Up to $1,000 Yes. Up to $1,000
Flood cover (automatic) Yes Yes Yes
Credit card and transaction card misuse Yes. Up to $5,000 Yes. Up to $5,000 Yes. Up to $1,000
Vet expenses if your pet is injured in a road accident Yes. Up to $500 Yes. Up to $500 No
New for old replacement cover (contents) Yes Yes Yes
Fine art, paintings and works of art Up to $20,000 per item unless specified Yes Yes Yes
CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray discs and software Up to $20,000 per item or boxed set Yes Yes Yes
Alternative accommodation Paid in addition to the sum insured. (Up to 10% of sum insured). Yes Yes Yes
Removal of debris and demolishing cost. Paid in addition to the sum insured. (Up to 10% of sum insured) Yes Yes Yes
Architect or surveyor and legal fees relating to rebuilding (up to 10% of the sum insured). Yes Yes Yes

Policy conditions, limitations and exclusions apply to all cover types. Please see the PDS for full terms and conditions.

When you take out Buildings and Contents Insurance, you’re taking out cover for both the home you live in (including your garage and shed that are on your property) plus certain contents. It’s the most comprehensive type of home insurance you can take out with CGU Insurance.

How much you’re covered for depends on a few things. You choose the sum insured for both your home and its contents, and then you can choose from three levels of cover – Premium, Quality or Basic.

To help wrap your head around what’s covered with our Buildings and Contents Insurance, you should take a look at each Product Disclosure Statement (PDS):

We will base your premium on the type of cover you have chosen, including any options that you have added, your sum insured, the excess, the type, location, construction and age of your buildings or contents, the level of security you have, your previous insurance and claims history and any special conditions that we have applied.

The best way to answer this question is to complete an online quote.

This depends on the type of policy you’ve taken out. All of the Buildings and Contents Insurance policies offered by the Capricornian come with a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), which lists out all the exclusions to your cover.

Please read your PDS to see the full list of what is and isn’t covered:

It will depend on your personal circumstances, however, Buildings and Contents Insurance is the most popular type of home insurance offered by the Capricornian. This cover means that if, for example, your home is damaged in a weather event or other covered incident, then it’s possible your contents will be damaged too.

Say, for example, your home is flooded*. Not only will you likely need to repair or replace some of the walls (part of the buildings) but you will likley need to repair or replace carpets, furniture and certain valuable items (contents).

Please read through these Product Disclosure Statements (PDSs) to get a better idea of whether Buildings and Contents Insurance is right for you:

*Underwriting criteria, policy limitations and exclusions apply.


Before you decide on the cover that’s right for you, read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and Target Market Determinations. In the PDS you’ll learn everything you need to know about what’s covered and what’s not.

Insurance is issued by Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance. In offering the insurance products, The Capricornian Ltd acts under its own Australian Financial Services Licence and under an agreement with the insurers, CGU. Any advice is general advice only. Consider the Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) and Target Market Determinations, available at any Capricornian branch or by calling 1300 314 900.

Am I adequately insured?

Need Help?

Our friendly insurance specialists can answer your questions.

Tips to get in the know